Keeping hair shiny isn’t easy at all. You’re testing various treatments and products, but the strands stubbornly remain lifeless, right? What may be the core of the problem?
Are you one of those ladies who keeps asking herself, “Why is my hair so dull?” The most common reason for shine-deprived strands is the wrong cosmetics. Sometimes it’s the genes, but in most cases it’s us who contribute to dullness.
What makes hair lose its shine?
Even though you do everything you possibly can to keep hair healthy, it looks bad. You can put the blame on:
- wrong styling techniques
- high temperatures / heat
- frequent coloring/bleaching
- chronic stress
- certain diseases / medications
Additionally, if you apply too many styling products daily, there is no way your hair will be shiny and fresh-looking. Instead, you will end up with flat and dull styles that don’t flatter you at all. Lack of UV protection, including zero heat damage protection during heat styling, as well as long sun exposure, result in lifeless hair as well.
It’s clear to see that there are many reasons why hair isn’t as glossy as you want it to be. The good news is, however, that there are some simple solutions that can bring the shine back. But first, let’s focus on…
Things to avoid if you want to have glossy hair
It’s perfectly normal that some hair types are more resistant to damage than others. If you happen to belong to the latter group, see the below hair care tips that will get you the shine you deserve.
- Trim the hair regularly. The sad truth is that hair won’t magically fix the split ends on its own. You need to get it trimmed regularly to prevent the breakage, which slowly, yet inevitably, leads to dullness.
- Don’t pull on hair while brushing. Vigorous brushing is bad for your hair. Like… really bad. It breaks the hair and raises cuticles, which allows the moisture to evaporate from the inside, causing brittleness. Also, be gentle while drying your hair up with a towel after shampooing.
- Maintain hydration. When the levels of moisture are adequately high, the hair is glossy. This basically means that if you want to increase your hair’s shine, make sure it’s well-hydrated. Find products enriched with aloe, algae, honey, urea, olive oil, hyaluronic acid and glycerin – these are common hair moisturizers.
- Strengthen your hair. It isn’t hard provided that you use the right masks and plant oils that match your hair type. Don’t forget about hair oil treatment because it works wonders (more on it below)!
- Use UV protection. If you don’t provide your strands with UV protection, the sun will make it dull and dehydrated in no time. Even the scalp may be negatively affected by the sun overexposure, which is something to steer clear of.
Shiny hair tips
Luckily, there are plenty of simple ways that bring back the shine to dull hair. First, invest your money in gentle shampoos and scalp scrubs. It’s not a secret that a moisturized and healthy scalp grows strong and glossy hair.
Second, while removing the shampoo or a mask, use only lukewarm water. The same applies to the blow dryer – use the lowest temperature setting to dry the hair up. Indeed, drying will take longer, but the risk of heat damage is reduced significantly. It would be even better if you let the hair air dry.
Third, always use heat protection sprays before styling the strands with a flat iron or curling tongs. If not protected, the hair gets dehydrated, thus dull and lifeless. Make sure that the protectant of your choice matches your hair type.
Lastly, apply plant oils regularly. Hair oil treatment is one of the best things you can use on the hair to make it look stronger, healthier, and shinier. The range of plant oils suitable for hair is vast, so there is plenty to pick and choose from. The most universal ones are argan oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil, but you should also try castor oil, coconut oil and avocado oil. Just make sure the plant oil you chose is cold-pressed.